Story Week 7: Grandma's Tale



“ These young children don’t even know the real stories of vampires, let alone the original pair!” My grandmother shouted as she saw another ad on TV for the Twilight series. I always chuckled a little she was constantly telling old stories, most people chalked it up to myths and legends but not Mah Mah she was stubborn.





“Well grandma since you know so much why don’t you tell me who the original pair are?”





“ You’re a cheeky one aren’t you. It all started very long ago some say that it was an oath taken out on a gamble. There were five brothers and known as the Pandava brothers. They were all unique but Bhima. Bhima was mighty, strong, a warrior, scared of no one,wielder of the mace….”





“ Ok Ok Ok grandma I get it he likes to fight can you carry one and get to the point.” I could tell my grandmother was invested into this story it was strange to see her this lively over something I didn’t even think she knew much about.





“ Don’t interrupt. It’s rude. Anyways back to the story where was I before I was so rudely interrupted.” She then proceeded to stick her tongue out at me. I rolled my eyes. “Real mature grandma.”





She gave me a warning look and then carried on,“ Bhima was truly majestic in his craft of wielding the mace. A war had broken out and he had to make good on his promise. It was said that he had to rip of the arms of his opponent and drink the blood. And during the battle the opportunity arose with arrows in his back he ripped of his opponents arms and cracked open his chest and drank the warm blood. Bhima exclaimed that the blood was sweeter than honey. Hmm I think they said milk but I don’t like milk so I say honey. That man did deserve it, I heard he tried to steal his wife and to make up for it he washed her hair in his blood.”





My eyes grew wide. “ Where are you reading these stories Grandma Draupadi and milk was the only thing you saw wrong with that story?! Whatever, happened to them? ”





“ You’ll know in due time.”






I could have sworn I saw my grandmother's canines sharpen. But She did just tell a crazy story. Must have been a trick of the light.






Fangs

Source:Flickr











Authors Note: I thought it was really funny that I had recently reread twilight and their was a small snippet of blood drinking in the stories. I also hint that the grandmother is in fact the wife of Bhima.


Bibliography:When words Failed Bhima, Dushasana, Indian Epics University of Oklahoma




Comments

  1. Oh my goodness. This was a fun twist. I like how you pulled in Twilight, sissy vampires that they are. I could easily visualize the conversation back and forth, the impatience of the Granddaughter, and the sarcasm of the Grandma. It is definitely a conversation my family would have. I wonder if vampires could have kids though. If they can, are the kids vampires too? What causes it to happen? Will the Granddaughter turn into one as well? I wish this story had a continuance to read more. I feel like it leaves the reader in suspense, but in a wonderful way. I really enjoyed this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved getting to read your story for this week. Twilight has always been one of my favorite books and movie series so I think it is awesome that you did a twist including this series! I loved how you got your inspiration from rereading twilight and noticed similarities with and Indian epic story! I have found myself doing this same thing and think it is quite entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, good job on this blog post, I liked how you mixed Twilight into this blog post and had grandma drupadi as a character in this. This story really showed a typical family and how vampire related stories are something that people are interested in such as vampire diaries and/or twilight. This story makes the audience try to figure out what is going to happen next and makes it end on a cliffhanger which is very unique and entertaining as it allows many stories to have similarities like this and how vampire diaries left people on a cliffhanger. Although I did not watch twilight, I have heard a lot of things about it and it seems that you were able to tie in a lot of facts into the indian mythology to the point where it is easily relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dacia! I really liked this story. I like how you set it up as really casual and just had it be a conversation between the granddaughter and grandmother. I also liked how you tied in the original story really well too. Making the grandma's name Draupadi also was a great tie in and clued the reader in to why she knew this. I also like how you made it festive for Halloween. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vampires and Indian epics… love it. This was such a fun twist for this week’s story. The dialogue was well written and was fun to read. I enjoyed looking for the links to the original story. I really appreciated the last line. It was suspenseful, but in a way that ended your story in a satisfying way. This must’ve been a blast to write! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dacia, you're such a good storyteller! I love how in your stories I have read you switch it up in such a way that relates our assigned reading with recognizable modern elements like Twilight. There have indeed been so many "vampire" related shows and movies, and to see how you've merged this with the Mahabharata based on your observation that it had a bit of blood sucking is so clever. "Ma Ma" is such a charming character. Through the dialogue we really get a sense of the kooky grandmother she seems to be with her mythological tales. As almost an extension of you, the author, I love how she wanted to change the bit about "milk" to "honey" in the same way that you've retold this story using "her" storytelling as a tool. What a great snapshot of the dramatic scenes of the Pandava brothers' battles, too. Overall, really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so creative! A good one to read on Halloween too. I like how you took the story and really made it your own original work, and I like the subtle hints at more details, like who the grandmother could be and that sort of thing. The washing hair in blood piece was pretty gross. I also liked the banter you created between the grandmother and narrator--it flowed so smoothly I didn't even notice the transitions, it just felt like a normal conversation!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Hot Mess

Story 6: The Second's Diary